some of the best.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve always had a huge interest in foreign films. Such movies have given me a glimpse of how other cultures are, how people live, what their histories entail. I know they are all just a depiction of reality but a lot of these foreign films are so real, so . . . in-your-face. I just watched another foreign film last night, and I highly recommend it (La Misma Luna). So, I’ve made a list of some of the best foreign films I’ve seen.
In no particular order.
1. King of Masks – directed by Wu Tianming
2. Babettes gæstebud (Babette’s Feast) – directed by Gabriel Axel
3. La Misma Luna (Under the Same Moon) – directed by Patricia Riggen
4. Schindler’s List – directed by Steven Spielberg
5. Amelie – directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
6. Lola rennt (Run Lola Run) – directed by Tom Tykwer (WONDERFUL soundtrack!)
7. La vita è bella (Life is Beautiful) – directed by Roberto Benigni
8. Cinema Paradiso – directed by Giuseppe Tornatore
9. El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan’s Labyrinth) – directed by Guillermo del Toro
10. Nuovomondo (The Golden Door) – directed by Emanuele Crialese
11. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – directed by Ang Lee
English-language films but produced in Britain or elsewhere:
1. Joy Luck Club (half in Chinese, half in English) – directed by Oliver Stone
2. East is East* – directed by Damien O’Donnell
3. Millions* – directed by Danny Boyle
4. On a Clear Day* – directed by Gaby Dellal
5. Once* – directed by John Carney
List of movies to watch: Slumdog Millionaire, Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In), Kolya, Disgrace*, Paris, A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, Efter bryllupet (After The Wedding), Adams Æbler (Adam’s Apple), Så som i himmelen (As it is in Heaven) and Entre les murs (The Class). If you have any recommendations, let me know!