recipe: bran muffins
I’m a huge fan of bran muffins and on some Saturdays, I love making a big batch of them. Here’s a tried and true recipe from Hodgson Mill, a company that produces all natural unprocessed wheat bran (the recipe can be found on the back of the wheat bran box):
- 3 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
(I usually add about 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ and several tablespoons of ground flaxseed.)
1. Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water; stir and let water absorb into bran.
2. In a separate bowl blend sugar and butter.
3. Measure and combine flour, baking soda and salt. Combine the moist bran with beaten eggs, the remaining 2 cups of bran, buttermilk, blended sugar-butter mixture and flour, soda and salt mixture. Stir well until blended.
4. Place in the refrigerator for future use, or bake at once. When preparing to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stir batter well and spoon into prepared muffin tins. Bake 15 minutes. Keep remaining mixture in airtight container for 2 to 4 weeks.