recipe: orange beef & broccoli
I’ve mentioned here before, there’s a cookbook moratorium in our household. I absolutely love to read and have way too many books in my collection. So, to save money and to not add more books to my overflowing bookshelves, I’ve taken to checking out books from the public & university libraries. One that I’m perusing and using at the moment is Cooking Light’s “Fresh Food Fast” cookbook. What I love about it? All the recipes have simple ingredients that you can use to make a quick and tasty dinner. Um, what more can you ask for? (Okay, the book has lovely food pictures. I’m a photographer so I’m a sucker for great pics.)
For tonight’s dinner, I tackled Cooking Light’s orange beef & broccoli, slightly adapted. Perfect for a Tuesday night meal.
- 1 large head of broccoli (or 2 small bunches), with the florets cut up
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- red pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 lb cubed steak, cut up in slices
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
1. Mix beef broth, marmalade and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Put cornstarch in a shallow dish and sprinkle some salt in it. Mix well, then dredge the cubed steak slices in the cornstarch.
3. Heat the oil on medium-high, then cook the steak slices for 5 minutes, sauteeing until browned.
4. Then add the soy sauce mixture, stir and cook for about 1 minute until the mixture is thick.
5. Turn off heat, then add broccoli and mix well. Season to taste with red pepper and add more soy sauce if you prefer. Serve hot, with brown rice.