recipe: turkey pepperoni & gorgonzola cheese pizza
It has been a very busy weekend! Some good things, some boring but necessary stuff. Yesterday was my 10k race and lots of chores/duties around the house afterwards. Today we served at church all morning and then the afternoon was filled with meal planning, more errands and other important matters. We decided to go ahead and file paperwork to dispute our county’s appraisal of our house – lots of forms to fill out and data to sort through (the husband’s task). I went to Kinko’s to make copies of pictures as proof of future maintenance of our house, in hopes that it will convince the local government powers-that-be to lower our property taxes. Then my weekly trip to the grocery store – actually not a chore to me. I quite enjoy meal-planning and shopping for food. It feels like the day has just flown by! I do feel ready, though, to tackle the week ahead.
But I can tell you something? I hardly cooked last week. I don’t know if it was just the week’s busy-ness or me being too tired (or lazy, perhaps) to cook, but I didn’t. Fortunately, thanks to some photography gigs I’ve done lately, we’ve had some extra cash so we used a bit of it to go out to eat. Mainly fast food but I felt like we made pretty wise choices for our meals, like salads and non-fried things (except for my the-night-before-my-race meal of chicken wings; I know . . . I KNOW! Sigh. Wing Stop is just so good, what can I say? And my post-race meal at IHOP). That being
said confessed, I am ready to get back into my routine of cooking. Food for this week?
- turkey pepperoni & gorgonzola cheese pizza
- black bean burritos
- veggie & bean burgers
- red bean paella
- chickpea, lentil & spinach curry
Notice the list? My goal is to cook mainly vegetarian dinners, as it’s healthier for us and cheaper on the budget. Lunches are something else – the university cafeterias are closed for the next couple of weeks so we’ll either eat leftovers or turkey sandwiches.
Anyways, I always get a bit excited after I go grocery shopping, because of things I will make during the week. For tonight’s dinner, I made a new pizza for us – turkey pepperoni & gorgonzola cheese pizza. I have to say, I loved it and so did my husband! We used to eat a lot of pizza at home, just simple ones we would throw together like grilled chicken with spinach and mushrooms on store-bought pizza crust. (I’ve only made pizza crust once and it was okay. I’m not a baker, remember? 🙂 I’ll keep trying, though. Maybe I’ll reach success one day!) I hope you enjoy this recipe, as much as we did.
Turkey Pepperoni & Gorgonzola Cheese Pizza (adapted from Epicurious)
serves 2 very hungry people
- thin pizza crust (ready to bake; we used “Mama Mary’s Whole Wheat Pizza Crust)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- turkey pepperoni slices (I think I used an approx 25 slices?)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/8 cup canned sliced diced olives, drained
- 1/8 cup diced green bell pepper
1. Preheat oven according to pizza crust package directions.
2. Spread pizza sauce over crust.
3. Add these layers in order: 3/4 cup mozzarella, 3/4 of the basil leaves, gorgonzola cheese, pepperoni slices, olives, bell pepper, the rest of the basil and the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
4. Cook pizza according to package directions.
If you’re not a fan of gorgonzola cheese, don’t be afraid of this recipe. There are so many other flavors in this pizza that you will only taste hints of it every so often. But then again, I love “stinky” cheese 🙂