Skip to content

saturday morning.

February 18, 2012

It’s been a long, stressful week. To use the word “overwhelming” is a bit of an understatement. But I survived, thanks to God and His strength, my loving husband’s support as well as friends & family who will pray for me and lift me up. Nothing big or bad happened but the strain of trying to cram 3 months’ worth of work within the next month and a half is daunting. Plus I’m hormonal. Plus people (though they mean well) keep making unnecessary pregnancy comments.

“Are you sure there’s only 1 in there?”

“My, you sure look pregnant!”

“You’re getting so big!”

“You’re not going to make it (to your due date).”

I’m inclined to say, “Really? Do you really need to make a comment about me being pregnant EVERY single time you see me? I don’t really need the small talk. I know I’m pregnant. I know I’m big. And yes I’m sure I’m carrying only 1 baby. And when my baby comes, I have no control over that.”

Sorry. Rant over. Hormones in check. I think.

Last night was the perfect night to just stay at home. After work, I went to the grocery store to pick up a few items (spinach, milk, bran cereal, fruit, sparkling apple cider, buffalo wings, you know, that kind of thing). As soon as I came home, I ate the wings and my husband poured us some cider into wine glasses. We sat on the couch reading jokes to each other. We’re geeks like that. And then I slept on and off as my husband watched one of our favorite documentaries “Young at Heart”. If you haven’t seen it, you should. It’s deeply moving and touching and makes you think about your own mortality.

Which brings us to Saturday morning. I am so thankful I got a decent night’s sleep. (Sleep really is hard to come by these days. Pregnancy doesn’t make it easy. No matter which side I lay on, my hip hurts. And I get up to use the bathroom like every hour it seems like.) I woke up to the sound of light rain at around 8 this morning. Got up, checked my email, Facebook, fed our cat, ate breakfast, did my quiet time and tried to wake up my darling husband. He needed the rest, poor guy. Still recovering from hernia surgery.

He’s finally awake, fed and happy – I made him a nice big egg scramble with mushrooms, bell peppers, onions and spinach. One of my favorite things to do is making him these egg concoctions. He loves them! Which makes me happy.

It’s still drizzling out. Our cat is going bonkers. I’ve already made basil almond pesto to use up the basil leaves I bought earlier this week. My husband just brought me a nice cup of tea (red raspberry leaves and other herbs to prep me for labor/delivery). All I want to do is drink coffee and eat lots of shortbread, but I won’t do that because I’ve gained a good amount of weight already on this pregnancy. Trying to watch the carbs but still trying to enjoy them. It’s a tough balance, you know.

Sorry for my ramblings. It’s been a tough week emotionally and mentally. I feel drained. But a good friend of mine (who is due a week before me, with twins!) made a comment that encouraged me – that all of this overwhelming-ness is preparing me for when my baby is here. And I believe that. And I also believe that the Lord will not give me more than I can handle. He is good. He is my strength.

Logging off now, so I can enjoy the rest of this quiet, rainy morning. I hope your morning is beautiful.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: