Just a note to my most recent post – the double chocolate banana muffins. I don’t use bran cereal flakes but unprocessed wheat bran:
image credit here
Unprocessed wheat bran, according to Hodgson Mills, is “the outermost layer of the wheat berry and is one of nature’s richest sources of Natural Food Fiber.” Plus,you can do the following with wheat bran:
- Add Wheat Bran to your favorite pancake mix
- Add one or two tablespoons to your morning cup of orange juice
- Sprinkle Wheat Bran on top of your cooked oat bran or favorite cereal
- Use it as a meat extender in meat loaf, hamburgers or casseroles
- Sprinkle Wheat Bran on ice cream, pudding, yogurt or fruit
- A great addition to homemade pizza dough – just add two tablespoons to your recipe along with the flour
- Use it to coat meat before baking or frying. See our Baked Crispy Chicken Fingers recipe
- Grind Wheat Bran in your food processor until it is fine and then add it to your flour to enrich a pie crust
- Wheat Bran makes great muffins.
The flakes are soft and tiny, VERY different from bran cereal. I love this stuff – I try and add a bit of it to most of my baking. I think their bran muffin recipe is great. Give it a try and make sure this is what you use for the double chocolate banana muffins!